Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I was in a similar position... got a RAM Oppo

I was in a very similar position until just recently. I had been using a Denon DVD2900 for SACD and DVD-A playback and a Rega Planet for cds. When I got a turntable I had to move the Planet to the bedroom to make rack space. Well I never really liked the Denon but I had bought a nice little collection of SACDs that sounded nice on my system. The Planet sounded better in most instances but I needed the versatility of the Denon as I don't have a separate HT system.

Back in December the Denon crapped out and I moved the Planet back into my main system. I started to look around for a new SACD player and started to read a bunch of chatter about the Oppo's. I bought a new modded Oppo DV981HD directly from RAM. I have been running it in for around 120 hours so far and I am very pleased. It is still a little ragged on the highs but every day it has been getting better. It sounded pretty bad the first day. Doug from RAM suggested a few hundred hours of break in.

I can say already that it bests the Planet playing CDs handily. It does the PRAT thing much better. The bass is fuller and faster. It is much more extended on the top end but it still a little ragged up there like I said before. I expect it to smooth out completely if it keeps up its daily improvements. It playes HDCDs so I finally got to hear a bunch of Grateful Dead discs with that feature. I don't know if I can pin down the benefits of it yet but give me time and I'll figure it out.

SACDs and DVD-As sound real good too. The Denon was ok but this Oppo is in a different league.

Oh yeah it cost me $875 delivered. Quite a bargain.

Cheers,
Jim

PS the picture quality is top notch too!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I was in a similar position... got a RAM Oppo - desmondjim 08:27:39 03/28/07 (1)
    • Me too - Quint 09:03:59 03/28/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.