Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Universal Player or Not?

Hi All!

Well, I find myself in a quandary and have the suspicion others are too. What is the best sounding “universal” disc player for around a grand capable of handling CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As?

I’m certain there is no single player that can be optimized for top flight performance of all three. As such, my priorities from most important to least are CD performance followed by SACD and DVD-A. CD has to be topmost due to the sheer number of discs in my library. I have a total of around 20 SACD and DVD-A discs and believe there will be new titles available in the coming months. I bought a Pioneer DV-562A which sounds okay on all three but is what it is: a decent $200 component with a video bias.

This seems to be a problem with al universals and I understand that most folks will use them in a home theater system. Not me: I want 2 channel audio only.

I’ve even considered just buying a good outboard DAC to connect to the Pioneer for now and wait until the hi-rez market shakes out a bit. But, doing so would not provide the hi-rez potential contained on the SACD and DVD-A discs.

I’ve also considered marking time on hi-rez and just buying a good CD-only unit like the Rega Apollo.

I’d appreciate any guidance from those who have been down the same path.

Best regards,
Steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Universal Player or Not? - Steve A 07:52:58 03/27/07 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.