Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: I'll Have To Get It Just To See If I Agree

Robert expressed, Versus RCA Living Stereo, Opus 3, Groove Note, etc.
I not sure if it matters that I'm not using ultra expensive gear to get the best out of that one if other SACDs on those other labels sound mighty fine. Time will tell.

I didn't say expensive, Robert, I said, "quality." There is a difference. Too many sacred cows out there that sound about the same and hence they all produce about the same sound.

Cooke's Copa recording has a certain sense of airiness to it that can trick a listener into thinking he's not necessarily listening to a recording. The voice is particularly palpable, the backup instruments decidedly natural in dynamic (although just slightly short of full bandwidth in a live setting), and the structure combining sound stage with ambiance is so nearly perfect as to forgive the sometimes muted sound of the horns.

As "live" recordings go, this one does not quite match up to the famous Belafonte/Carnegie release -- especially on Classic Records, for modern collectors -- but it goes a long way towards creating that same sort of uniquely mesmerizing atmosphere. Too bad the record is so short; taken from two shows, it should have gone one for about an hour, but IIRC, this is less than 45 minutes -- maybe even a lot less.

The Opus 3 Showcase still remains one of my reference SACDs, although having had a conventional CD player upgraded/modified extensively, I now find the original RCA Living Stereo releases to surpass the newly reissued hybrids. There seems to be a more corpulent sound to these. Of course, YMMV if you are not, as Ted has pointed out (Howdy, Ted) listening to these on something that can reveal these subtleties; most if not all stock SACD players cannot. I don't think I'll be buying any more Concord releases either. Sorry to get off track.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I'll Have To Get It Just To See If I Agree - sgb 08:10:14 03/26/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.