Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Two answers :)

Thanks for the thoughtful replys. No, I don't view them as rambling at all; makes sense.

An observation I have made is that SACD multi-channel recordings are getting better and better. It is as if the format is moving forward from the "early ages", much like stereo did after a while. I have found that current SACD multi-channel mixes sound more convincing than the newly recorded mixes from 5 years ago. There *seems* to be less reliance on the two mains (except for the deepest bass) and an elevation of the center channel (especially) and the surrounds as more as equal partners (but still not equal).

The increase in center channel reliance in the mixes does not necessarily result in improved or increased "center fill" in my system when attempting to make those kinds of comparisons (which I rarely do any more). As has been pointed out stereo addressed any "center fill" issues years ago with only two good speakers.

Nevertheless, the mixes sound better than ever. I have found that the sound quality is improving even though my ears, gear and the room have not changed at all (well may be my ears). This may have more to do with improved use of the surrounds than with increased center channel participation. Or the improvement can be for some other reasons. I don't know. It may be more of a synergy thing.

One result in the market place I have seen is that newly recorded 4 channel discs don't seem to be as common as they once were. Although I have observed that in my collection that some of the more “purist” (talk about an oxymoron!) multi-channel recordings leave out the center channel

Sorry if I'm rambling.:)

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Two answers :) - Robert C. Lang 16:08:26 03/25/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.