Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Two answers :)

Howdy

The speaker I'm using for my center has the same tweeter and mids as my left and right front speakers. It's problem is that the tweeter is at the wrong height. This does cause a few problems that I'd like to address without compromising my video.

If your question is "If you replaced your center speaker with one at the proper height would it make a difference?" then my answer is definitely yes.

On the other hand if your question is "Do you think that a center speaker (with the tweeter at the proper height) with five channel discs is better than four channel discs?" or "Do you think that a center speaker (with the tweeter at the proper height) would be better than a phantom center?" then my answer is not necessarily in my system:

I don't know for sure, but since my left and right front speakers and amps are so much overkill for my room I don't think I need a center for the reasons related to capacity or resolution. Also I don't think I need a center for anchoring the soundstage (it's already quite solid.) So I'm not sure what I need it for :) That's why I'm considering getting my preamp modded to support a phantom center...

I'm not recommending this for everyone (or even anyone else), I'm not saying that I prefer 4 channel discs to five channel (let's ignore the sub for this discussion), and I know that taking it to the limit doesn't make any sense at all. ("Why 4 instead of 5?" leads you to ask "Why not 3 instead of 4?"...) But mathematically, if you are only considering the sweet spot and if your system can handle the extra power without loss of detail, in an ITU setup putting 1/2 of the center into each of the left front and right front is simple and well defined.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.