Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I know that this isn't the best forum to mention the ol' 16bit CD format, but...

... in comparing the SACD, MoFi CD and my recent acquisition of a 1983 Harvest Black Label Japanese import CD, I must say that at times I prefer the Harvest flat transfer over my system. I don't have the MoFi LP, but based upon my impressions of the Harvest CD when compared to the MoFi CD, it's hard to beat Alan Parson's original mix for depth, mood and clarity without clipping. The SACD, which is a different animal altogether, is more dynamic with lots of detail and extension, but doesn't recreate the mood or front to back dimensional depth of the original recording; it sounds a bit ...ummm, 'sterile' to me.

The MoFi CD has deeper bass than the Harvest Black Label or the SACD (on the MoFi CD you can actually hear extension below 20hz, including a distinct oscillation in the very low bass region for nearly a minute during Money), but it sounds unbalanced, perhaps even boosted.

Some of the things that Doug Sax attempted in the stereo remaster seems to bring some instrumentals 'up' in the SACD mix while others almost disappear into the background. This mastering is excellent in it's own rite, but in my estimation it isn't the same as the "breath of life" transfer of the original.

This may seem like sacrilege to some folks, and I do like the SACD, but when I want to relax and hear the album as I remember it, the Harvest Black Label comes closest to the 1973 Harvest vinyl without acquiring an original pressing of the LP. Note: I've been into the digital formats for a very long time and haven't ventured back to LPs because quite frankly, as the skittish patient told his doctor, "I hate needles!" :o)

AuPh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I know that this isn't the best forum to mention the ol' 16bit CD format, but... - Audiophilander 20:41:41 03/19/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.