Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Early SACDs

Thanks for starting this thread, Joel. I have most of the titles you mentioned, and particularly admire the Szell SACD.

I have been listening again to the early analog to DSD SACD transfers of 50's/60's classical recordings by Sony. It is marvellous how they still manage to present much more wholesome and real impressions of the original performances in comparison to modern cutting-edge high-res PCM recordings that are transferred to SACD. They sound so wonderful despite the "primitive" technology of the time (tubed circuitry and minimal and simple miking techniques) or more probably, because of it.

Analog to DSD transfers trounced PCM on these grounds back when SACD was first introduced. They still do today, demonstrating that DSD preserves the analog signal in a way that PCM can never do.

The early 70's transfers are not as convincing, sounding more artificial in soundstage and sterile in sonic quality, due to the early solid-stage circuitry and greater complexity in microphone placement due to the increase in mixer channels and recorder tracks.

Listening to the wonderful performances on the new Chesky Jazz SACD's, which were recorded with the latest PCM technology, I am also struck by how the cutting-edge PCM reproduction is still characterised by the PCM hallmarks of razor sharp detail accompanied by the familiar pixellated and mosaic graininess that prevents the impression of a seamless soundstage and fluid musical flow from emerging. Still, they sound much better than CDs, and I am grateful to have this important music on a high-rez format.

However, listening to the 5 CD's in my possession on my new EMM Labs Signature combo does throw a spanner in the works. By some mysterious means, as has been observed by many others, Meitner has managed to process PCM in such a smooth fashion that eradicates the PCM graininess. You do not quite have the dynamic openness, tonal colour and soundstage dimensionality of pure DSD or Analog to DSD transfers. However, the irritating fuzz has been smoothened out. This applies for "purer" recordings that are not heavily processed and edited in PCM. You can't do much for recordings which have gone through extensive PCM processing, though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Early SACDs - DkB 17:34:33 03/18/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.