Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

The intent of my posting...

...for clarification, as the responses are now getting off tangent re: labor rates, commodification of one's labor, comparable worth, American Idol, etc.

I was more looking to be an informed consumer re: if the quote was reasonable and in-line with the "going-rate" for replacing an optical drive, etc. and as such C. B.'s feedback was realy what I was seeking. Comparison pricing, as it were.

I hope my ignorance can be mercifully excused here by some of you (of course I trully give a shit!), as I do not regularly deal with repalcing optical drives and repairing servo boards in digital disc units and the like. It could be a $5 part or a $75 part for all I know...

Analogous to bringing your car to the shop and you never had to replace and/or repair a major part and they quote you a price for doing so: would you blindly accept it if you weren't orientated to whatever the repair was? You might not disagree with 29.99 for an oil change but how would the layperson know that $500 (or whatever) is reasonably or appropriate to replacing a raditor, etc. and furthermore the quote isn't going to be the same for a Dodge Neon vs a BMW or what have you. Likewise, would you automatically accept only one estimate quote from the very first contractor renovating your bathroom and kitchen, or might you check it out with others and/or seek 2 or 3 different estimates for the job?

The issue was not whether the technicians deserve the rate but quite simply trying to be adequately informed.

I am a professional, too, but don't expect new or less than informed clients--much less those who may call my office and simply ask what I charge for so and so to take my consult rates as an absolute or else gospel truth-they are entitled to shop around. Should others here and I cross paths and I give you my fee for consultation, I would expect and even encourage you to do the same.

Is there anything more reeking than an indignant response?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.