Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

The demise of the brick-and-mortar Tower Records stores in the US hasn't helped...

As a classical clerk at the now-former Tower Classical Annex in SF told me, Tower accounted for about 50% of classical CD sales in the US. (Not sure where he got that figure, and whether that included online sales or not, but given Tower's dominance here, I'm not surprised.) In any event, the clerk told me that he was proud of the fact that, in 'his' store, he was able to steer advice-seeking customers towards recordings and repertoire that they would not have otherwise considered. (He bragged that he was responsible for most of the CD sales in the US of a particularly obscure opera recording--he was probably right.) He was proud to have imparted his enthusiasm and knowledge to so many customers, and lamented that this type of personal service would no longer be possible after Tower closed its doors. Sure, online stores like Amazon come up with suggested CDs for you to try, but it's not the same as having a knowledgeable and friendly salesperson guiding you around a store, talking about CDs of music or performances you may have never even thought of before. Admittedly this kind of service has become increasingly rare anyway, but I still hate to see it disappear altogether.

If the Tower stores did indeed account for 50% of classical CD sales here, I can't help but feel that only a small part of that will be made up by increased online sales, whether actual CDs or downloads.

Russell

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The demise of the brick-and-mortar Tower Records stores in the US hasn't helped... - Russell 14:05:19 03/15/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.