Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

The sky has been falling for quite some time now

And I think that the constant messages of impending death are overrated. As other posters have pointed out in this thread and in others, it is the distribution system for music that is changing. IMO the only thing that's dying are silver discs. But they are being replaced by a far more efficent music distribution system - the internet. The efficiency of the internet as a distribution network for music means that there may well be more classical music available for sale - not less. It just won't come from major labels and be sold through large record stores.

I also believe that those who worry that this means I-pod quality for everyone are also mistaken. CD-quality downloads are now available though Music Giants and they are talking about MCH DVD-A quality downloads. As long as there is a market for hi-res classical music, someone will sell it. Capitalism like nature, abhors a vacuum and the profit margin for selling electrons over the net can be pretty impressive.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The sky has been falling for quite some time now - Pacman 09:39:18 03/15/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.