Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: SACD compared to Vinyl ?

I did both, and ended up paying more attention to vinyl. I think strings sound better, the soundstage and imaging is more anchored, textures more focused which makes rhythms spring from the speakers more engagingly. I listen to Classical which is obviously recorded with the natural acoustic preserved. (We hope.) I use a record cleaner and 99% of my used lps are dead quiet. If you haven't listened to Lps in 20 years your in for a big suprise. My turntable was $2500 list and cart was $550 list, but my loaner turntable, a Nottingham Horizon which was much cheaper, exhibited the same results. I was not in any way prepared for the quality of sound I heard from vinyl and was extrememly prejudiced toward SACD sound, especially multi-channel, until I heard what the former could do.

A caveat though. Other genres on used vinyl seem to be harder to come by, and harder to come by in good shape, at least that's what I've noticed in the thrifts. This might be an issue. You might list what kind of music you like. In some cases, digital or SACD remasters might be the way to go. I still have an SACD player but it doesn't get much playing time.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.