Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Telarc's BIG PICTURE SACD has no DSD 2 channel program.

I'm pleased you're enjoying "The Big Picture!" That project was fun to record in all ways. It was an adventure collecting the source sound effects and then testing the finished sound effects on various people around here for their reactions.

The ONLY reason to re-release "The Big Picture" on SACD was to give folks a chance to hear the 'real' multi-track master without the prior loss-y DTS encoding that had been used for the 1997 DTS-CD release. The music source masters were indeed 44.1 kHZ/20-bit. Some, but not all, sound effects were recorded and mixed at 88.2 kHZ/20-bit. We spent a lot of time getting the best-possible transfer of the multi-track pcm sources over to DSD. It was during the SACD mastering process that we discovered we would not be able to fit both a surround and stereo DSD program on the SACD due to the length of program. The stereo DSD program would have been simply a DSD copy of the pcm stereo master anyway, so would have been redundant to the CD program. The whole point of this re-release was to feature the better surround program so we made the choice to drop the stereo DSD program rather than possibly compromise the content of surround DSD program.

Theresa: are you sure the Yamaha player is downmixing the 5.1 DSD to stereo? That would be a non-standard operation - one not usually allowed for SACD playback. You may be listening to the LF/RF channels only.

In any case, I'm happy folks are enjoying "The Big Picture." I'm glad we had the opportunity to get it out on SACD! Thanks again for the kind words.

Best Regards,

Michael Bishop
Recording Engineer

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.