Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

“The Widor Mass, Op 36”-Thank you Ray Kimber

I just listened to one of my favorite recordings on any format, “The Widor Mass, Op 36” on JAV Recordings. I rarely recommend or even mention discs that feature organ unless it's with orchestra because aside from the most noted composers for the instrument and the organ war-horses the genre is sort of a niche within a niche of classical music and most people just don’t dig it. And while I love organ music I understand perfectly why it doesn’t titillate the palette of most other music lovers even of many classical music lovers.

But I must make an exception for the “The Widor Mass, Op 36”, that features organ and choir. Along with the inventive composing of Widor it is the wondrous marriage of the organ and choirs that makes this recording so unique, so glorious, and so majestic.

I have introduced this piece to a number of my friends who have no interest in classical music or a fleeting interest at best, let alone any interest in organ (unless it is a Hammond). And all they can say is wow! This piece after a couple of listens can be cleansing akin to a general absolution.

It is wonderfully recorded; in many respects the best I’ve heard. But at the same time I pretty certain that this is a PCM recording and most certainly not DSD. It does not have quite the purity of enunciation of say, the Sonoma Project “Music for Organ, Brass and Timpani”. But at the same time the Widor if far better recorded, in my opinion, and the passion and brilliance of the performances make the Sonoma Project recording seem completely unimaginative.

And talk about power, the power of the organ is, for the most part, dignified in keeping with the choirs with which it must be kept in balance. But there are ample instances in which the power is unbridled. As a comparison, the Widor unleashes considerably more power than the new Ondine Philadelphia Orchestra Saint Saens, Barber, and Poulenc performances. And that’s saying something!

I again want to thank Ray Kimber, who about a year ago, almost abruptly, made a concise post (something I need to work on :)) indicating that he was blown away by the Widor recording. And even though a couple of months later Kal Rubinson gave the recording his highest recommendation in “Stereophile”, I would have almost certainly missed out all together except for the tip from Ray Kimber.

If you *really* want to know how I feel about this disc see my comments at SA-CD.net

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - “The Widor Mass, Op 36”-Thank you Ray Kimber - Robert C. Lang 02:50:14 03/12/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.