Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Update on the Yamaha DVD-S1700 Universal player.

Well I've lived a few months with this new Universal and I am overall impressed. SACD and DVD playback is excellent.

Telarc SACDs sound very realistic and almost as good as on the old Xindak SCD-2 tubed SACD player. The Xindak SCD-2 has a little more intricate detail in the high frequencies but even though it's solid state the bass is almost as warm and the midrange in the Yamaha is very liquid and smooth with the human voice sounding so real. Mechanically it's too early to tell but so far it plays the SACD layer of Hybrids SACD with ease.

Telarc CDs sound anywhere from good to excellent, the best having warmth in the midrange and smooth highs. Something I firming believed was impossible for CD to do, totally impossible. These Telarc CDs proved me wrong, CD playback can be improved. I guess the 9th time is a charm. Ironically strange thing the best sounding Telarc CDs are the earliest ones.

Other labels of CDs so far range from fair to painfully bad with one exception so far. I checked a bunch of CDs out of the library and they all sounded bad except one: Greg Brown: Slant 6 Mind on Red House Records. So it looks like there are other labels that make listenable CDs besides Telarc.

So the Yamaha is not the magical CD machine I thought it would be but at least I can now enjoy the best CDs.

However I won't be buying many more CDs, as SACDs are so much more enjoyable. But it is good to be able to get the early works of Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops.

"Music is love"
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Update on the Yamaha DVD-S1700 Universal player. - Teresa 20:45:14 03/08/07 (19)

You can not post to an archived thread.