Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Two questions about your comparison methodology, Robert.

*******When you've done multichannel-vs.-two-channel comparisons on the same system, have you done the two-channel audition with the three additional MCh speakers removed from the room? And, if so, have you optimized the speaker positioning for two-channel listening or have you left the front left and right speakers in their MCh position during two-channel playback?*****

My front main speakers are optimized for two channel listening where they stand. Placement is for the best possible two-channel sound, both in accordance to the manufacturers detailed instructions and with my ears. I had my two channel rig before I added multi-channel. When I added the multi-channel speakers the two main speakers were not moved *one inch* from their previous/present position. In other words, there is no “MCh position for the main speakers. In fact, if I would have had to compromise two-channel speaker placement, in any way, I would have never taken the risk (and it is a risk because of the “room factor”) on multi-channel. I talk about this “Inmate Systems”. The two-channel sound today is as superb as I have ever experienced in my room.

There is no evidence that in my room the other three speakers degrade the sound.

On the contrary, placement compromises, where they exist, are with the surround speakers. They are placed within ITU specifications, but are still not optimally placed. Nevertheless, with well recorded SACD multi-channel mixes (amazingly most are very well recorded), largely classical and jazz, the two-channel renditions almost always come up short in comparison multi-channel. The two channel is indeed very good, as good as ever. But the multi-channel, in direct, comparisons is even better.

The other issues you describe, I just don’t have perhaps because I am fortunate to have a large listening room. My front speaker are far from the walls (almost 6 feet from the side walls, more than 7 feet from rear wall). There is no furniture, audio gear, TVs, etc. between the speakers and the listening position. In the context of things the middle speaker is small with respect to cubic feet. But to be sure before I committed to multi-channel I placed a dummy speaker between my mains for listening tests. I was not about two screw up my two channel listening experience. There is no audible degradation caused by the middle speaker.

I should point out that before I opted for multi-channel I made the assumption, right or wrong, that what was good for two-channel was good for multi-channel (not necessarily the other way around), because most of what you directly hear comes from the front two channels. I truly believe that the best two-channel make for the best multi-channel, assuming, of course that the other speakers are placed correctly. Therefore, I was single minded in retaining superb two-channel sound without compromise before I added multi-channel.

*******From this experience I've concluded that simply switching from MCh to two-channel playback without modifying the overall placement configuration to fit the playback mode is not a valid comparison. ****

To your credit you recognize that a comparison between multi-channel and two-channel cannot be done fairly in your situation. I have seen many reckless comparisons described in this forum that are done without regard to any criterion. Most often this is to the detriment of multi-channel.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.