Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: SACD vs. Redbook

"At some point, however, the fundamental differences between digital and analog playback will lead most audiophiles to prefer one or the other..."

Problem is I think with recent equipment it's gotten tougher to find any "fundamental" differences between the digital & analog. It's as you say a matter of taste and a test of vocabulary to describe the relatives merits. In my set-up, relative to vinyl SACD (and to a lesser extent RBCD) has more throw weight, rock-solid bass control & extension, silkier midrange & treble, bigger envelope-- all the audiophile superlatives. Vinyl does slightly better transients on strings and brass & seems in general a bit more vivid & honest. I can hear the shortcomings of vinyl to a greater degree than digital but the vinyl format is very forgiving. Digital is ruthless and needs to be taken to the highest level to obtain escape velocity from listener fatigue. But the latest CDPs are definitely over the top.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: SACD vs. Redbook - Dave Garretson 12:56:25 03/08/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.