Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Yeah, but it still comes across as an overly expensive two-channel retro

I appreciate your comments, but let me say a few things.
First, I never said that I bought the X-01 for a "stupidly" expensive price. I said I've OWNED some ridiculously priced gear, which is true. Actually, I got the X-01 used for a steal.

As for disabling the MC, I was looking for balls-out performance with as few compromises as possible for two-channel playback. As I said, I have no interest in MC, so I didn't see the point in keeping it. If it didn't affect two-channel performance by keeping it, sure, I would've kept it. As I said in my last post, whoever buys the unit will have to have two-channel as a priority.I might be able to have the MC reinstalled, but I haven't talked with RAM about it. It might not suit your priorities, but I'm mostly interested in the here and now. So sue me.

Yes, I considered going with a former "kingpin" like the SCD-1, but ultimately went with the X-01 because I could get one for an incredibly good price and because of its VRDS-NEO transport mechanism, which I hold in very high regard. I also asked a few audio designer friends of mine what they thought, and all of them thought the X-01 was the preferred choice.

And, yes, I've heard a number of stock Esoterics in my system, though I didn't mention this in the review: DV-50, DV-50S, X-01 Limited, and UX-1. I've also heard the P-03/D-03 and P-01/D-01 combos at people's homes. So I'm pretty familiar with the Esoteric sound. Stock, I'm not a real big fan, hence my decision to mod.

Also, to respond your comments that "in the short and long run a project that like you undertook can be far more costly than the expensive gear you lambaste in your comments," yes, modding can be risky, but if it's done right, it can yield performance that few stock components at anywhere near the price can match. That's my opinion, of course.

BTW, I'm not a professional reviewer (which you seemed to imply), though I did post my thoughts as a review, yes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.