Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: McIntosh MCD-201 SACD Player

I have to admit being somewhat of a McIntosh guy, as I own several vintage Mac's.

I seriously considered the 201, and I arranged some time ago a one-to-one comparison with a dealer who is a good friend of mine. The reference was a Marantz SA15S, which is my current gear. Amps were Mac's and speakers B & W (various models) with sensible cabling plus Monster power conditioning. Being a SF addict, I must admit B & W are not my favourite speakers.

Anyway, my overall impression of the MCD 201 (on mixed programs both CD and SA-CD) was good to very good.

Yet I felt unable to barter my Marantz SA15S (purchased in June 2005 for 1,600 Euro and just slightly tweaked, i.e. TOAC feet, leadshot bags on top panel to quench vibrations plus opaque black paint on the otherwise slightly shiny lower surface of the top panel of the laser casing - a silly trick that greatly improves performance) against the 3,800 Euro MCD-201.

L.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: McIntosh MCD-201 SACD Player - Luciano,IT 03:03:43 03/05/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.