Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Two-Channel...

...not that I have anything against multi-channel. The configuration and multi-use nature of my listening room simply makes multichannel impractical. I'll have to take your word for it on this one.

The DVD that was included with my set suggests that the recording was closely-mic'd in an empty church. And it sure sounds like it. You can clearly hear the clicking sound that comes from the bow changing direction on a string, as well as the 'surface noise' of the rosined bowhair as it scrapes across the strings. These are all normal sounds, but they don't project well, and in a concert venue only those in the first few rows would have a chance of noticing them.

Also, for me, there is a sense of unease about the performance on this disc, and it could be that the in-your-face character of the sound is a contributing factor. Julia Fischer's speed and intonation are impressive, as is the gusto with which she plays. But, compared to my two favorite recordings of some of these works, those by James Ehnes and Hilary Hahn, Julia Fischer's feels rushed, shouty, and less lyrical.

That said, she could run her hands through a meat grinder and still outplay me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.