Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Ring Cycles

Comparing the Rheingold orchestral prelude on the Melba SACD to the 24/96 remastering of the Solti Decca recording on CD is no contest : the Australian version has far superior sound, especially in the clarity, firmness and depth of the bass.

I have Walküre and Siegfried on the DVD-V of the Barenboim-Kupfer Bayreuth, and their Siegfried and Götterdämmerung on CD. Comparison of the Siegfried demonstrates that the CD audio is superior to the PCM stereo sound of the DVD-V. This underscores a recurrent problem with DVD-Vs of opera : the relative mediocrity of sound either on DTS or PCM stereo. If one wants fine singing of the Ring on CD, the Solti set in my view is overrated : Böhm's Philips 'live' Bayreuth Ring with Nilsson and Windgassen is magnificent, and I have read raves about the Testament Keilberth Bayreuth.

Don't forget that the 'Etcetera' label is also bringing out a MC SACD 'Live' Ring. I have just bought its Siegfried, which cost about half the price of the Melba Walküre. It has a bizarre boy Woodbird, but reasonable sound and performance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Ring Cycles - Ramesh 13:49:27 03/03/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.