Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: A very fine violinist, but...

I'm sure she is not the absolute best at everything she attempts, but, so far at least, all of her recordings are on a very high level of artistry and sonics. I agree with you about the Grumiaux Bach being an equally attractive or slightly better performance, but what really pushed Ms Fischer to the top of the list for me was the Pentatone recording compared to the aged (but well preserved) Philips recording. Grumiaux is one of the artists I would like to resurrect for the purpose of modern recording. Perhaps after she is seasoned with passing years and numerous performances, she will be capable of offering the same insights into the music as do veteran players. For such a young woman, however, I find her skills far exceed those of the wiry-toned Hilary Hahn and some of the other young lionesses.

I had the privilege of hearing Zuckerman only a couple weeks ago with my local symphony orchestra playing a Bach Violin Concerto. He was also the guest conductor for the evening, and he gave a rousing rendition of the Tchaikovsky Fourth Symphony, a work I never cared much for. As soloist, his honeyed tone and freshly sprung rhythms reminded me of, you guessed it, Julia Fischer! Or maybe it was the other way around...

I've never heard a criticism similar to yours regarding Pentatone SACD's. Many that I have, though certainly not all, feature some of the very best sonic representations of an orchestra or chamber group. Even the older Philips quad recordings are superb when reprocessed with DSD. May I suggest you audition the Mendelssohn Piano Trios or Mozart Violin Concertos as a good example of new recordings that are really outstanding for the musical content and sonic qualities?

Peace,
Tom E

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: A very fine violinist, but... - madisonears 17:17:40 02/28/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.