Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Rickie Lee Jones revisited ... revisited

I was lucky enough to see Rickie two weeks ago here in Cambridge, MA. I have the new album but haven't had a chance to watch the DVD. This was my third time seeing her. As always, she is a masterful performer and musician. With all due respect and allowance for taste, I hardly think Neil Young on his best day could summon the musicianship that Rickie has.

Anwyay, I had mixed feelings about both the album and the show. My basic reservation is that while I appreciate Rickie trying to pair these particular songs with a spare, rootsy folk/rock kind of band, I don't think the particular band she has really does her justice. Live, she was regularly giving them rhythm cues during show (clapping her hands to get them back on board). Peter Atanasoff is probably a decent musician, but she also had a guy named Junior who played well enough, but diddled endlessly with delays and sequencers which was more distracting than additive to the songs.

At the end of the show, my first reaction was "how brave." To take such risks lyrically, thematically and musically. But that's RLJ in a nutshell. I did very much enjoy the show, because even with warts, Rickie is in a league with an elite group.

What I did miss was the interplay with more sophisticated and capable musicians that marked her Berklee concert here a few years ago. She interspersed some of her older songs, but played some of them solo or with just Atanasoff. That was an interesting change, but it suggest that she feels her cuurent band has a limited scope and purpose. Fair enough.

And for those who might not have been watching her for decades: Joni Mitchell and Lauro Nyro gave birth to the highly personal, female singer-songwriter genre in the late '60s (can you name one before them?). Rickie, Bonnie Raitt and a few others took it from there. Without them, you might not have Sheryl Crow, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Ani DiFranco and who knows who else. Listen to all of them and you'll hear bits of Nyro, Mitchell and Jones, for sure. One man's opinion, at least.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Rickie Lee Jones revisited ... revisited - mschlack 15:57:16 02/24/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.