Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Duly pinged and differently pessimistic

Interesting reaction but I think unduly pessimistic from the sales point of view. What struck me was how superficial the whole thing was - a sadly typical example of how Radio 3 misses the point these days. Where was the follow up on the issue of using 64 microphones that need a surround down-mix? Where was any mention whatsoever that this was *not* the first surround Valkyrie anyway (Mehta on Farao was 1st)? What follow up did we get about the admiration that she has for her sound engineer, what makes him so good? Why did the interviewer not ask about the very issues you raise vis-a-vis compatibility? Answer, because the interviewer either didn't know about them himself, or, more likely, some teenage sub-editor chopped the interview to fit it in before the slot ended. We did get a huge chunk of the inevitable Ride as a substitute for intelligent discussion. All that fits in with the new ethos of a channel that is abandoning live concert broadcasts don't you think?

Hmmm! Guess I'm as pessimistic as you after all, but not about the same things. I somehow doubt if many outside the UK listened anyway - and Valkyrie is apparently selling really well in the US. I note that much of the interview is to be found in print on the Melba website, maybe even the same interview.

Have you managed to obtain The Rheingold yet? I haven't.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.