Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: In the US, you can buy a box set called "Glenn Gould Plays Bach - The Original Jacket Collection"

Hi Christine,

My enlightened guess is that those forthcoming reissues I was referring to will all be from DSD transfers, because:

1) It's an ongoing project of Sony's to preserve the tapes in its vaults with DSD, and they'd have to be mad not to prioritize their Glenn Gould possessions.

2)Some Glenn Gould DSD transfers have already come out in commercial releases, like the existing three SACD issues, the '55 Goldbergs (I have a Jpn transfer from year 2000), and the Preludes/Fughettas/Fugues that was issued just recently in the newly reinvigorated Great Performances series (which, like the Extended Performances or whatever, is the outlet channel also for other Sony/BMG treasures in DSD format these days, such as those perennial Walter, Szell, etc. recordings; but they also have DSD'd lots of stuff by other artists in their roster, or at least Sony Japan has - I have the Rostro/Rampal/Accardo/Stern Mozart quartets but there is much more out there).

So as far as the new Glenn Gould Bach reissues are concerned, I'm assuming these are all DSD, but hoping they'd turn into SACD as well.

I'm not entirely sure what this SBM process consists(-ed?) of (wasn't it also about interfaces, like the Philips Bitstream and DGG 4D/OIBP were?), but surely they won't be doing any new 20-bit transfers utilizing it. 20-bit is history by now.

TL

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.