Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: new Pentatones

My reference to "new" Pentatones was a generic one meant to distinguish this group from the RQRs; I wasn't singling out the more recent new releases from the label.

I don't have the Toccata disc, so I can't comment on it. But I haven't noticed any significant attenuation of the bass in Pentatone recordings, although the bass may be more prominent on some other labels (such as Telarc). In part, this may be due to my system. I have owned Krell amps for many years (I recently purchased the new Evolution 402) and they are always powerhouses for bass reproduction; also, the dual woofers in my Martin-Logan Summits are, if anything, prone to overemphasize the bass without careful setup. Fortunately, ML provides adjustments (+/- 10dB) at 25Hz and 50Hz to tame any problems.

Off the top of my head, the only romantic disc that I vaguely recall as lacking in "weight" was the Mahler 5, although my recollection is that this lack of weight extended to all frequencies, not just the bass. I haven't heard the Mahler disc for quite awhile. When I have some time, I may pull out a few of the romantic works on Pentatone and listen with your comments in mind.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: new Pentatones - Phil W 20:01:51 02/15/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.