Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Spot on as ever. But don't forget..........

the excellent Turina and Dukas SACDs which I seem to remember Teresa admiring some time ago.

But in addition to the discs you mention--and some fabulous Richard Strauss, especially 'Death and Transfiguration'--there remain the Bruckner symphonies. The recordings of #6-9 rival Chailly as the best Bruckner of recent memory. Critically largely ignored, they were a monumental achievement of interpretation, cultural and spiritual empathy, and de luxe orchestral playing. I heard them all live in the concerts antecedent to the sessions. Having heard--and not too long before--live Bruckner performances in London concert halls from the orchestras of Vienna, Berlin, Amsterdam, Leipzig, Hamburg, Munich and Chicago, I had never heared the Cincinnati playing bettered.If you don't believe me, read the critiques on Amazon.com!!!

The recordings had a resplendent olde-world glow that matched the performances. I cannot begin to understand why--given the rather astonishing popularity of Blessed Anton these days and given the paucity of Bruckner on SACD--Telarc has not rushed to release these gems on our chosen medium. But, as you so rightly say Jim, the CDs are definitely not second-best!

As to why Jesus is no longer in the Queen City, there lies a story worthy of Hanslick's activities in Brahmsian Vienna...........

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Spot on as ever. But don't forget.......... - OwlGlass 17:53:23 02/14/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.