Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Huh??

*** I thought it was perfectly clear that he asked the question here before asking Victor on the other forum. ***

Sorry, but it wasn't clear to me. If I looked at only his 3 posts in this forum, it seemed to me he was asking Duilawyer a question to which he already had a strong opinion on, which he then subsequently tried to confirm with another person in another forum.

If that was the case, why ask the question in the first place? Why not try and confirm first, and then post? Especially since Duilawyer said "bald" instead of "bare" in the first place?

*** Also, in this case it is not ambiguous. ***

I think the question here is not what the literal translation of the word is, but the best semantic mapping, which may not be the literal translation. "Bald Mountain" is not a commonly used phrase in English, and sounds a bit strange. If someone said to me they spent a night in bald mountain, my first guess would be that they were on a mountain called "Bald Mountain" which is not necessarily treeless.

When translating between languages, the best translation is often not the literal translation, but one that shares or invokes similar semantic connotations. For example, I am currently studying Japanese, and if I translated every sentence literally between English and Japanese I would lose or change the meaning considerably. That's why "Japanese English" sounds so strange to us, and equally we probably sound really strange to them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.