Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Jazz fans, pick up those DAD's cheaply

Not sure where to post this since this 'format' is neither RB-CD, DVD-A nor SA-CD :-) Many of you know that Classic Records have issued a number of great jazz albums on Digital Audio Disc, mostly 24/96 recordings and some 24/192 (these DAD's are DVD's with PCM audio only). These are (among) the best recorded digital discs around, and I am prepared to say that these can give most if not all of your SA-CD's a run for their money. Elusive Disc has the following Jazz titles for 14.99 and I just wanted to alert you to this - I bought the first 6 below and they are stunningly good, musically and sonically. Of course the 24/192 recordings of Cannonball Adderley, Coltrane and Muddy Waters have also been around for a while now and are equally excellent. Especially the Cannonball - you haven't heard Miles until you hear him on this disc, even in comparison with the excellent JSACD's.

1)ART DAVIS/A TIME REMEMBERED (with Herbie Hancock and Ravi Coltrane)
2)HANK MOBLEY/ROLL CALL (with Art Blakey, Freddie Hubard, Wynton Kelly and Paul Chambers. need I say more?)
3)ZOOT SIMS & AL COHN/EITHER WAY (with very cool vocalist Cecil Collier on 3 tracks)
4)FREDDIE HUBBARD/OPEN SESAME (with Tina Brooks, McCoy Tyner, Sam Jones!!)
5)KENNY DREW/UNDERCURRENT (Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Sam Jones, Louis Hayes)
6)LOU DONALDSON/LOU TAKES OFF (with Donald Byrd, Art Taylor, Sonny Clark and others)

7)SONNY CLARK/COOL STRUTTIN (a huge album)
8)DR. JOHN/PLAYS MAC REBENNACK (Southern piano)
9)DR. JOHN/THE BRIGHTEST SMILE IN TOWN
10)JIMMY RUSHING/GEE BABY AINT I GOOD ENOUGH ('Mr 5x5' was Count Basie's front man for years and an unbelievably fantastic singer)
11)JIMMY RUSHING & EARL HINES/BLUES & THINGS
12)JOHN LEE HOOKER/MR. LUCKY (you know the man)
13)JOHN LEE HOOKER/BOOM BOOM

Jw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Jazz fans, pick up those DAD's cheaply - Joel_Waterman 22:31:40 02/08/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.