Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

JLTi vs VS 9000ES L5 - as unbiased as I can get

Hi Mark

The JLTi v. dCs Pie are significantly different that preferences would decide. I am of course not unbiased, but I do have an opinion. But there was another person present when we compared the two. It was in a shop where they had brought in the dCS for a customer (who bought it unheard). In that context, and it was a BIG system with speakers going low and with power, the preference we had was the JLTi. Despite what may be thought, the JLTi does not sound lightweight in such a system, but benefits from it. The same shop also sell the Moon Andromeda. We both know that the JLTi is WAY better than the Andromeda (which only plays CDs), far more refined. The Andromeda just sounds big. Now some will interpret THAT as having a big soundstage and the JLTi not. I can see that happening but don't agree with it.

Re the Audio Prefectionist review, I just don't know what happened, don't have insider knowledge. It's so easy to be dismissive re the JLTi, sad but true.

Re 9000ES L5, I have done several of those here Down Under. I can tell you that the JLTi is WAY better than L4. As for L5 and JLTi, I can happily live with both IMO. Is the JLTi better than L5? No. The L5 is a bit more tonally pleasing, a little warmer (but not warm), but I have a friend who heard both in his system and preferred the JLTi. I think the strength of the JLTi in the right system is its very tight focus and an un-exaggerated bass (and I believe the latter catches people out and then gets called 'lightweight'). But your L5 9000ES is mighty good and congrats, it's a great player. You would have noticed quite a difference between L4 and L5, right. The JLTi is much closer to L5 than L4.

The JLTi and L5 have one BIG thing in common, in fact TWO. They share the same Reference Clock (sorry, I am biased, but there is no better clock) AND the noise reduction technique applied to their power supplies. Oh, a third, NO opamps in the post-DAC circuit. That means they DO share some sonic qualities. Like two great looking sisters, but one a gorgeous brunette and the other auburn hair.

To me the JLTi has one huge advantage, it plays CD-Rs. I rip CDs onto hard drive using EAC, then burn on cryogenically treated Verbatim 'Blue' CD-R using the Yamaha AMQR mastering burning process. Yes, the copies sound BETTER than the original. Can't play them on the 9000ES.

Chris is talking about ripping SACD/DSD to fairly highish rez PCM. I am definitely interested in that if it works out.

Joe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.