Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Marantz SA-7S1 Review

One element of performance of these Marantz players (I own the SA-11S1) that many people have failed to mention is the high output level. I run mine into a passive Sonic Euphoria via balanced output (which is the better of the two outputs), and there is plenty of power to drive my primary monoblock amplifiers, a single-ended subwoofer output, AND a remote system. Indeed, these are powerful, beautiful machines. Have you opened the case? The entire chassis is lined with copper, as are the power transformer and some other PS elements. The only flimsy element is the cover, which should be (and can easily be) mechanically damped.

I sold my outboard DAC after I realized it added very little to the presentation of redbook, and the SACD sound is far superior to an expensively modded Sony. If only these companies could produce a reliable laser mechanism. Mine, after two years of heavy use, is beginning to display some of the non-reading quirks so commonly associated with SACD. With all the care these designers take in producing such excellent circuitry, couldn't they spend ten or twenty more dollars on a laser transport that won't crap out after a while? My CAL Audio Icon NEVER failed to read and play a disc, even after more than ten years of very heavy use.

Peace,
Tom E

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.