Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

With Respect To West Of 5th

Same place, same regarding technique. I don't know what drum set was utilized on either and also what the positioning was but I'd have to surmise each was different.

TAS describes the brushes and cymbals on West of 5th to be top notch whereby one would have a hard time finding recordings to match with respect to that. I agree.

Do you feel that if we were there live listening to "Manhattan", would this recording be a good representation of the sound we heard?
The drums are too distant and weakly recorded. I find myself reaching for the remote to raise the volume.

Listen to track 6 with regard to the drums.

Again, I'd take most any Evans live recording over this (strictly for sound reproduced) and most of the ones I have aren't SACDs. I understand Manhattan isn't in that setting and a church is much different but it doesn't explain the disparity I detect with West of 5th when listening to that recording. Maybe my equipment has something to do with it.

I forget which other magazine I read that reviewed "Manhattan". They placed an emphasis on the drums and the recorded sound being less than stellar but still gave the recording 5 stars. Go figure!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.