Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

What impact will Tower's demise have on the physical media?

For at least five years, I have refused to pay retail for any CD or SACD. I either buy from one of our SF massive media stores, or from the Internet, - often used, or new ones that are on sale......

But in markets where Tower and Borders are the only choices, now Borders is the only choice, - is that going to impact the Recording Industry's bottom line? What will happen with their monopoly? They will be able to raise prices on items already recorded. Will they do smaller duplication runs at one of the 3 major manufacturing centers? And if a record company is bankrolling a new band or a new recording, will they be more or less likely to do a hi-rez recording? Is pricing of the upcoming Genesis SACDs as posited below a precursor of things to come?

I know that I'm going to continue to pay $8-$10 for a redbook CD and I'll continue to pay $10 to $12 for hirez CDs or I will not buy them. I would take any bet that says that if the Recording Industry Monopoly starts charging $26 for that new Nora Jones (sic), or that new Justin Timberlake CD; those products will not be long for this world.....

If it's not love, then it's the bomb that'll bring us together

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • What impact will Tower's demise have on the physical media? - Sordidman 17:50:02 02/02/07 (1)
    • not much - hifitommy 19:47:04 02/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.