Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Marnatz SA-7S1 Review Forth Coming

I just reveived and hook up my new Marantz SA-7S1 CD/SACD player. This replaces my Cary 306 SACD player that I loved so much but proved troublesome. I owned the Esoteric X-01 and the Accuphase DP77 and the Sony SCD1.

This unit frist impression the detail of the X-03 without the clinical sound or the in your face hyper detail. It has all the dynamics of the Cary, yet more open, better definition on the bottom end and smoother and more detailed at the top.

It is like having the best of the Cary and Esoteric gear in one unit. Imaging is better then any unit I have owned, vocals are killer, violins sound just real as well as well as piano from top to bottom. in fact this is the best I have ever heard a piano reproduced as a whole unit.

The filters work great, I am using filter one with the noise shaper turned on at the moment, though I like it off also, but on it adds a bit on body to all the music and it is dead, I mean dead silence, no noise details come out of no where but in layer with depth.

I will write more in a few weeks. I want it to burn in and then I will really start pulling some of my reference cd's out. I will say this, this unit beats the Cary and any other unit I have owned on red-book, it sounds like SACD being played.

I have not yet put in a SACD disc yet, I will get to that in a few days.

So far this unit is a killer and by the way pictures do not do this unit justice, it is a piece of Art work, the lines and the way the back corners are cut look really, really sharp.

The only unit I have owned that was built this well was the Sony SCD1, they both weight about the same around 50 lbs. But this look better then the Sony.

Accuphase and Cary cannot touch the built and design of this unit, in fact my two biggest disapointments in my CD search to repalce the Sony SCD1 was the Accuphase (not as good as the Sony in either format) and the Esoteric X-01 that unit had it own strange sound, and was really poor on DSD/SACD, in fact made them sound like red-book cd's.

Cary was musical, top a bit forward, good bottom end, but a touch fat and lacking definiton, but it was broke more then it work and I tried to keep the darn thing, in fact I tried 5 units up to Novemeber batch run, and the darn thing still had issues, though not as many.

I have to run and enjoy the tunes in the next room, it always a good sign when you want to keep running to put cd's in just to hear what you been missing.

Give peace a chance!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Marnatz SA-7S1 Review Forth Coming - PhillyB 11:53:32 02/02/07 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.