Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

JLTi SACD Player - from the horse's mouth.

Have you heard about the person who had an unbiased opinion. That's an oxymoron. Show me a person without an opinion and I will show you a person without bias.

As the person most responsible for the JLTi player, I feel that I should have the right of come-back re the P-F review.

I don't agree with everything in it, but there are some nice things said:

"Overall, my initial impressions were that the sound was smooth, refined and without edge of any kind, both in Red Book and SACD. This is a player that will never scratch your ears."

"As with my initial impressions, I found no grain or glare. This is a very easy player to listen to."

Ahem, sounds to me like a description of analog. Actually, if you like digital playback without grain, then this not a bad choice at any price and a bargain at the price point. Sorry, but I have heard the Andromeda and it sounds less than refined to me and a bit fat and slow. It only plays Redbook.

Why was there no mention of the dCs P8i and grain?

Two reviewers in Germany preferred the JLTi over the Linn Unidisk, saying to Allen that the Linn (after listening to the JLTi) sounded like "listening through dirty windows". Yes, the JLTi is CLEAN.

" If you are looking for an SACD player for under two grand, that also works well on Redbook, you have to seriously consider this player. It is not embarrassed by players costing multiples of its retail."

That's not bad. Let me put it this way: No way I would pay ten grand after listening to the JLTi. The Linn costs MORE than that.

"If you think that SACD requires mega buck systems and players to hear the difference, you are also incorrect. The JLTi is a great example of a modestly price player that is hugely enjoyable both in Redbook and SACD playback, for under $2k."

Again, nice. BTW, I have heard the dCs P8i, have you guys?

OK, not everything I agree with:

"Relatively modest output, its diminutive size and weight. Smallish soundstage, and somewhat reduced frequency extremes, most noticeably in the bottom end which was a little light in the loafers. However, with most modest two way speakers, one would never know about the bass issue."

Really, that is the only negative paragraph. Come to think of it, the dCs also had some negative comments. It is not the easiest player to come to terms with. The sound is overly technicolour. Strangely, the thing I didn't like was the way it did bass riffs. The JLTi in a truly full-range system was more convincing. I wasn't the only one to think so.

As far as 'smallish soundstage' - does that mean less bloated? Lightweight extremes, like the bass? I live in Sydney, would love anybody to walk in and listen and then report back here on the forum. It does NOT sound light in the bass, quite the opposite. I am using speakers that have a serious low end capability.

www.customanalogue.com/elsinore/elsinore_index.htm

These speakers can hit you like a sledge hammer with a 35 watt amp. Concert level of any type of music. Jeff Beck "Space for the Papa" will rip into ya!

Christine, you are welcome to come over again, besides I haven't gotten the EMU card working properly. You haven't heard the Elsinores. You liked the others, these are WAY better!

BTW, I strongly recommend Herbies Audio Lab footers. Very impressed and they DO improve the bass. Then it does for most players I suspect. But not just the bass, the overall focus is better. Oh, did I mention that the focus (even without the footers) is so noticeable that I was able to pick it blind folded among 16 other players at the European Triode Festival 06. Because all players were measured and played at the exact SAME level. Allen was there, so were many others as witnesses. Ahah, I said to myself, there is that 'focus' - this is interesting. Smallish soundstage to one person is a TIGHT soundstage to another. Remember my comments about an unbiased person.

Re the LEVEL. I think this is seriously where it sows a negative thought. It isn't that it is low level, it just that PLAYERS have an enormous 2V RMS output. So our players are -11dB or 560mV - that is not low, just sane. Does your tuner put out 2 Volts?

Then the other negative, it's a small player. So what, the piccolo is a small instrument, yet it took Beethoven to be the first to use it in the Eroica. It does a good job, and it should be left in there. I don't want to sound phallic, but size doesn't matter, right?

These are not meant as gripes, not that kind of person. I am not unhappy with the review, it's OK. Did you read the review of the JLTi Phono in the same issue? It is a ripper!

www.positive-feedback.com/Issue28/jlti_phono.htm

There is also a JLTi Hybrid Integrated amp, the Mk3 is hoped to be available in the US soon.

All JLTi components competes well over the asking price. Can you afford more, then look at the Vacuum State stuff. You pay a little more... but it is often just as difficult to make stuff that is less expensive sound way above the asking price.

Joe R.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • JLTi SACD Player - from the horse's mouth. - Joe Rasmussen 04:07:54 02/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.