Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Perhaps it is an age difference, but as one who was in ...

..his teens during the 50's and twenties in the '60's, I grew up with the modern jazz era, and the stuff on these disks to me is insipid, uninspired, and second-rate jazz compared to work by Miles, Mingus, Gillespie, Mulligan, etc. Or even the farm teams of that era.

Moreover, it isn't just comparing the past. It's comparing quality. Just two years ago, I heard Wynton with three other young musicians in a small nightclub in Northampton, MA and even as a new and admittedly experimental group, they put anybody on these disks to shame with their originality, spontenaity, and sheer musicianship. Almost all the compositions were new; few were standards. And yet they delivered quality jazz at the level of those 50's legends.

My conclusion is that Chesky not only botched the recording, they did nothing right to catch a vibe.
Harry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Perhaps it is an age difference, but as one who was in ... - theaudiohiffle 18:39:17 01/31/07 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.