Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Anybody else disappointed in Chesky "New York Sessions"?

Received all five of these the other day and have played them over the last two days...and I must say I am tremendously underwhelmed.
I find only the "New York Time" disk to be first class jazz, with the Dave Hazeltine "Manhattan" disk interesting on a few tracks. The remainder isn't even interesting "background" jazz IMO.

Well, you say, how about the sound? Doesn't Chesky's sound redeem the disks. Unfortunately, even if that were possible, it isn't the case here. The sound, recorded in a church, is recorded too distant from the players so the "up front" sound is too echoey (a problem with many Chesky disks) and the rear ambience contributes very little...not even helping make the front soundstage more dimensional, which is usually the case (in fact, it is so non-consequential in this respect that I am intriqued to find out why).

All in all, I consider the money spent on these disks wasted, except again for the "New York Time" disk.

Anybody else feel the same way? Anybody want to argue?
Harry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Anybody else disappointed in Chesky "New York Sessions"? - theaudiohiffle 13:25:38 01/31/07 (28)

You can not post to an archived thread.