Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Valid, but it's the wrong question...

...in my opinion. I have heard so many different interpretations of recorded music that I have come to the conclusion (for now) that it's the wrong question to ask. Perhaps it is because the operable word is 'execution'. To ask the DSD vs PCM question is asking for the most favorite answer in Economics, namely "it depends". In my view we are not listening to PCM or DSD as such. We are listening to a chain of events in which almost each step influences the next. Therefore it's impossible to answer your question. In this thread you have heard this sentiment expressed in different ways and by different people as well.

If someone says they prefer DSD I think it's because they have never heard well executed PCM and vice-versa. I can listen to CD, DAD, 24/96 and 24/192 DVD-Audio (+ other bit/khz variations), SA-CD and in my system I can say that hardly any RB-CD's can touch the other formats under my terms of musicality. For the rest I can play recordings that demonstrate to DSD fundamentalists :-) that they are wrong, I can demonstrate an SA-CD sounding better than vinyl, an LP beating DVD-Audio, or a DAD sounding more natural than vinyl, etc etc etc. And so we come full circle to my opening statements...and that's not even taking into account listening preferences. There are no absolutes.

Jw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.