Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Unusually Well done!

The whole band *should* be right in front of you! Even though you may be very familiar with live jazz music if you are like most of us you are even more familiar with recorded jazz music and that's what has most influenced our expectations over the years. So, here's what I recommend that you (we) do. Listen to one of the 'New York Sessions' disc. Then, in as close proximity as possible, go to a live jazz set. Then listen to the 'New York Sessions' once again. I did much this very thing on New Years Day. I think it will be very apparent why Chesky mixed the multi-channel the way they did. One thing for sure, based on Chesky's promos for this set it is clear that the mix was purposely done; it was no mistake.

May there be other multi-channel jazz mixes in your collection that you "enjoy" better? Perhaps so. For example, two immediately come to mind for me, Art Blakey "Key Stone 3" and Tony Williams' "Young at Heart" (two-channel). Actually, I think the Blakey actually sounds more like "live" (it was!), and the Williams recording is almost too real to be true, but the point being is that if "other mixes" are not the reference, but an actual live set is the reference I think you will find that "New York Time" and "West of 5th" are about as close to a live reference that a recordings are typically without actually being a record of a live set. I believe that both recordings both raise the bar.

It's interesting that you mentioned "mono" in your comments. I too mentioned "mono" in my comments below, except I took it a step further. I believed the recordings to be more like "no channels" instead of "mono". To me that is even better.

See my comments for "New York Time", "West of 5th", and "Young at Heart" at link below.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.