Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Autumn Shuffle by Peder af Ugglas on OPUS 3 -- fine disc indeed!

I have just grabbed a couple of them. My impressions are the same as yours -- that they are very well recorded.

I have Benny Waters "Live at the Pawnshop," and Eric Bibb "Spirit and the Blues."

The Waters disc is a live performance recorded originally in 1976, with Mr. Waters saxophone playing the center of focus. I have not really had a chance to give it a serious listen, but it strikes me as a fine recording overall, and a surpassingly good one of this vintage.

The Bibb recording is a fine blues recording featuring his own lead vocals and guitar plus a chorous. It has a decidedly spritual bent -- yet, it has a relaxed presentation and resonant lyrics that general audiences will find appealing.

As you probably know, OPUS 3 has musical samples on its website that allow you to stream generous clips into you media player. And, they have a pretty considerable catalogue to explore.

The three discs I chose to start were all made in Germany. And, apparently, they were all recorded with considerable care and skill. Though I am by no means an expert in the area of recording electronics, it always impresses me when a label bothers to list its specific recording venues, the kinds of microphones it used, and so on. Mabye I'm just a sucker.

These are the first OPUS3's I have heard, and I have to say, I'll be looking for more, even at their relatively steep price. I am also a fan of a couple of other labels that don't get enough attention: DMP and CHESKY.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Autumn Shuffle by Peder af Ugglas on OPUS 3 -- fine disc indeed! - halfnote 21:32:58 01/18/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.