Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Autumn Shuffle by Peder af Ugglas on OPUS 3 -- fine disc indeed!

My first OPUS 3 disc. Very good sonics. Excellent recording overall. Worth the high price, generally somewhere north of $30. (I ordered mine from May Audio, their main distributor in the US.)

I would describe the material as mature, reflective, almost retrospective rock music -- a kind of musical speech given in the venacular of the 60's and 70's pop music by serious musicians. No vocals, but wonderful, competent instrumental performances all around, particular from Ugglas on the guitar, or more accurately, guitars. He plays acoustic, electic, and slide, all with considerable technical virtuousity and flair.

There are wiffs of Alvin Lee, Hendrix, Harrison, with a touch of Green Onions from Booker T and the MG's. Yet, the music is original and not particularly beholden to its influences. It has a highly polished and refined presentation, more like the approach you'd expect from a fine jazz ensemble than from a pop/rock band. But for those of us who are looking for a satisfying, pop-oriented record (there are plently of fine classical and jazz SACD's), this one might be worth a try.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Autumn Shuffle by Peder af Ugglas on OPUS 3 -- fine disc indeed! - halfnote 21:14:52 01/16/07 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.