Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: very low bass (and a short list of albums/CDs/SACD I would like to compare)

"But perhaps the coup de grâce for me was the organ came up short with respect to ultimate power down low. For example, the last 3 minutes or so of the Concerto includes, a somewhat faint but *very* deep organ passage which is sustained continuously for well over 90 seconds. Because it is sustained it is far easier to gauge than a transient. On the Telarc recording on three systems I have listened to it that specific passage in the Poulenc seemingly causes a change of barometric pressure in the room much like what I remember happened at the live performance of this concerto I attended. It feels like a small earthquake."

I love this type of sound. One of the biggest differences I heard between CD players and/or CD/SACD players (when I auditioned about 5 of them at home over the course of a year, was in their ability to articulate deep bass. The best and most striking by far, and able to change barometric pressure in the room as you say, was the Marantz SA14 v.2.

Since you and three other very kind people in No. California have offered to let me hear their wonderful systems and compare LP, CD, SACD 2 channel and surround, I've been putting together a list of what I would like to bring; recordings that have stood out above the rest in different areas:

To demonstrate imaging and soundstaging of large-scale orchestral music I would bring the EMI Boult Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony on '69 LP--its huge soundstage, deep organ pedals and perfectly set choir behind the orchestra always amazes me. It would be fun to compare it the the Telarc VW with Spano, or the Telarc Berlioz Requiem.

For string "honesty" I'd bring a really fun one: an old Westminster XWN mono of the Schubert String trio with the Vienna Arts Quartet. I play this one for friends and the tangible nature of the string sound, plus imaging that allows one to walk around the trio in the room, so to speak, is astonishing. Perhaps compare it to the Praga Ravel quartet SACD in surround?

For deep, quick bass, and bass so deep it changes the barometric pressure in the room, I'd go for the Dutoit Respighi Pines of Rome on Lp: the organ enters with a quiet bass note in the middle of the final march. I'm pretty sure I'm hearing the fundamental. I would also like to try the end of Saturn from the Planets whose organ pedal goes deep indeed.

What about digital Lp vs. CD? I have both the CD and Lp of Tennstedt's Mahler Symphony #8 and the Nonesuch CD and Lp of Barber's Knoxville, with Upshaw. It would be interesting to discover what exactly destroys sting sound--the digital tape? (I'm beginning to doubt it), or the CD medium, or the mastering?

Two very very good CDs IMHO: a Conifer release of Ginastera's Pambi and a Collins release of Vaughan Williams Job. These sound good in just about *any* player and show what good CD mastering/recording can do. A so-so CD but a performance I can't live without: Sinopoli's Scriabin Poem of Ecstacy with the NYPO on DG. I would like to see what a good CD player can do with this.

For orchestral delicacy that remains astonishingly coherent and "all of a piece, (I know, we're getting subjective here), I would use the lp of Ravel's Piano Concerto for the Left Hand, and start at the point at which the music goes into "1" (a quick 6/8 march towards the end).

Lp vs. SACD? I'd bring the Berlioz/Munch Requiem on Soria and compare it to the recent SACD release of the same recording. I have a hunch the SACD detangles the Tuba Mirum info better than the Lp. We'll see.

In any case, it will all be fun; I wonder if there are too many variables to make any "real" distinctions that could be applied to each format in every case across the board.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.