Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Exposed strings

I don't own any of the chamber music discs that you mentioned. I have sampled a fair number of Channel Classics and Praga discs. They are a mixed bag, like any companies offerigs. But my house is overflowing with tapes, LPs, RBCDs, SACDs, and DVD-Audio discs, so I need to be very selective in purchasing. I was disappointed with the Praga discs I bought, but I chose them for repertory. My grandparents were born in what is now the Czech Republic, so I would love to support my compatriots. I grew up listening and playing classical music. So I approach recordings from the musical side, not the technical side. And I trust my ears.

We are in agreement that the best string sound is still from analog sources. SACDs do a better job with strings than CDs, although I supect many SACDs are mastered from lower rez digital sources. Even Telarc does this. I listen with Quad 63 electrostatic speakers with subwoofers. They are limited in dynamics, but very accurate in timbre. That's what I'm writing about here. I will leave the discussion of thundering climaxes to others.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Exposed strings - Botanico92007 20:59:20 01/13/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.