Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

OK - I've joined the Oppo club

Just ordered the Oppo DV-970HD universal player, so look forward to receiving it early next week.

I'm not really interested in the SA-CD (or even DVD-Audio) playback capability, since I already have separate SA-CD and DVD-Audio players (and I don't intend to retire them).

But I was interested in the video output, since it's one of the very few DVD players available that has no chroma bug AND passes 480i/576i over HDMI, which I need for my new projector (Mitsubishi HC-5000, which features HQV processing).

However, I will check out the hi-rez playback capability and report back on the sound. I wonder if anyone knows what DACs it uses.

Off topic PS - HQV is amazing! I enabled it for my Panasonic DVD-S97 and finally I have video quality that exceeds my HTPC! Unfortunately the Panasonic does not pass 480i/576i hence all the deinterlacing advantages of HQV are bypassed. Plus there is the penalty of double scaling which I want to avoid. But I tested HQV over the interlaced component output using the WQHL DVD Annex torture tests, and HQV managed to deinterlace some of the really tough cadence tests (which I have never seen any DVD player or HTPC software pass) - although it's by no means perfect (it doesn't pass all the tests, and on some patterns it only manages to lock cadence after a few seconds - way too long in my opinion).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - OK - I've joined the Oppo club - Christine Tham 16:59:05 01/11/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.