Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Thanks for all of that!...

More...

Is the function in the form, or the form in the function?:-) The former (to your point) would label "coherence according to rules" as good enough. But, early Mozart -- however solid in form -- to me, is just so-so music in terms of interest, excitement etc. If part of great music is "taking chances", form can be a hinderance as well as a strength.

The flip side is to declare "form in the function". So, if Cage is "about the radicalism", it is the relative lack of form that is the point. Deconstruction, anyone?:-)

There is a "third stream", however, and it is where we meet. "Great art just IS." I truly feel this way. Is there room for subjectivity? Of course. No one can deny the right of another to declare something "great". However, it is always better (don't know about value-wise, but from a utilitarian perspective) to be able to point out the details of "Why?".

All very conceptual, but I like this kind of stuff as much as you do. Many thanks for the dialog, DkB!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Thanks for all of that!... - SE 06:49:45 01/10/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.