Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Since you asked...

OK. I think I have a good picture now. Actually, at some point I think the topic of in depth look at multi-channel set-up is worthy of its own thread.

I took the approach that what's best for two-channel (mostly for depth of soundstage and imaging, etc.) is also best for multi-channel (if, of course, the center and rears are also set up in accordance to ITU requirements and not impeded by furniture or what not). There are specific requirements for front speaker placement (when used for stereo) that I was not going to mess with. (They work best 82" from the wall out on the floor). Fortunately, the room can accommodate both (optimum two-channel, given the specific placement requirements for the front speakers as well as all the other MC speakers). This was made unquestionably easier because I didn't have a TV between the speakers. (Believe me I had to fight hard to keep a monster TV out of the room). So, the two-channel speakers are absolutely optimized (with respect to placement). I did compromise a bit on placement of the rears but nothing to *materially* compromise the performance of the multi-channel sound and they still meet minimum ITU placement specs. All speakers are equidistant (9' 4") from the listening position. So even though the two-channel is performing at its absolute zenith the multi-channel whips it every time. And if I could improve the performance of the two-channel (there may be some crossover tweaks I can make) the multi-channel system would automatically also be improved.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Since you asked... - Robert C. Lang 23:55:42 01/05/07 (1)
    • Cool - Ted Smith 00:32:52 01/06/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.