Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Why wait? Judge for yourself!...

"Symphony" by name only (oh, yeah, and by having more than one movement), this work sounds EXACTLY like Liszt's other "Symphonic Poems". It is a large scale "mood piece" based primarily upon "evoking an image" -- of Dante's Inferno (i.e., Hell) in this case. All of the works on this CD/SACD are dedicated to either Wagner or Berlioz, and this is apt both in their spirit and execution.

I found that the recording required (and could handle well) a LOT of volume on my system -- much more than almost any other recording I have played within memory (you know, one of those "volume knob at 11:00 AM instead of the usual 9:00 AM position" things. Nice soundstage at that volume...not narrow.

I think of Liszt's orchestral works along the lines of Bruch and some of the lesser Russian symphonists. Take off the "serious hat" one usually wears for Beethoven, Bruckner or Mahler and there is a great deal to enjoy, even if only occasionally.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.