Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Which DSD Recordings For Better String Sound?

Actually several recordings immediately come to mine, including some DSD recordings released early on, that I believe sound as good or better than the wonderful strings on Fischer's Mahler 2nd. But before I offer them up for "string scrutiny" I will listen to them again.

The point is while the strings in Fischer's Mahler 2nd obviously sound superb (you can't have a superb orchestral recording without superb sounding strings, in my opinion). I did not get up and say "man those are the best strings I've heard on a DSD recording". They are most likely not. You may recall (see my comments at SA-CD.net) or in this forum when I first offered my comments on this SACD, I did single out (or I should have) the "low strings" as being top tier (although not necessarily *the best* I've heard).

For one thing, strings are tough to capture properly. I staunchly believe that there are so many more important variables (such as the hall and mic placement/levels) to getting it "right" aside from "DSD" or "vinyl" or "PCM" (latter day PCM), etc. I mean if vinyl was a main ingredient for the reproduction of great sounding strings why do so many vinyl recordings have bad soundings strings?

Vinyl buffs won't agree but vinyl does not have the copyright on reproducing great strings. Further, I believe the convention wisdom that says vinyl has the "corner" on great strings is a myth. I simply don't hear it when I compare my multi-channel collection to a live orchestral setting. I believe that the "air/ambience", rear channel information or whatever good multi-channel SACD brings to the table, most of which I don't understand, is *far* more important to making strings sound more like strings than vinyl or DSD. And, of course, multi-channel is no exception. Variables such as mic placement, hall, speakers, etc. are more important.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Which DSD Recordings For Better String Sound? - Robert C. Lang 13:38:58 01/05/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.