Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Since you asked...

Chris - My goal is simply to hear great music. I don't literally hear the rear information *behind me* (nor do I care), but I certainly hear a facsimile of the acoustic space the recording was made in (I'm using "facsimile" because that's all we're getting anyway, unless we're at the concert - Also, although I don't hear info behind me, I do have a feeling of being "enveloped" by the music). Also, my point in saying there were many things involved in musical enjoyment for me was *partly* because adding extra channels (and all that entails) naturally raises additional problems in getting some of those other things right.

One additional thing, that might help you understand my perspective: I have friends who are jazz musicians. I get to see and hear them play in a lot of different venues, both amplified and unamplified. Sometimes that "venue" is simply someone's living room. In the latter case, clearly the size is more similar to the space in which I listen to my stereo, i.e. more similar than being in a big hall. I have never found the absence of bigger venue ambience or hall information to be something I miss. In fact, the advantage of hearing more clearly some of the other things I mentioned in my previous post more than makes up for that.

Finally, just want to emphasis that this is my *perspective*. I'm not trying to say I'm right by listening to 2-channel, and that you are wrong for listening to multi.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.