Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Is the behind perceptible in two-channel recordings?

Jim – Thanks for your thoughtful responses! I can't resist commenting on your first sentence however:

Audibly so (in properly reared systems, anyway). . .

No pun intended, I assume? (Properly reared systems?) Anyway, on to the the substance of your post:

. . . the difference in ambient spatial cue perception is less a reflection of listening room acoustics than what's embedded in the recording itself.

I couldn’t agree more! Of the recordings you cited, I have only the Stokowski/Francesca. It’s a fabulous recording, and you certainly can hear how Manhattan Center contributes toward the overall sound. But even here, I just don’t hear the “behind sound” from behind. (And even if this recording should be released in the current series of Everest HDAD/DVD-Audio releases from Classic Records – with the 24/96 three-channel option – I still won’t be expecting to hear that rear information, because all three channels will still be in front of me.)

Which brings up a point raised by your comment "when the sound behind the listener is replaced by the walls of one's listening room". I believe the assumption of some is that the walls aren't in play with a multichannel system. But walls (and other room appurtenances) are still a factor, since even multichannel doesn't function in a vacuum and has to contend with room acoustics--a point demonstrated when I salted a friend's quality-system MCH listening room with a just a couple of traps that imparted more definition to the acoustic space.

I don’t disagree here either. Certainly, walls and the items in the room affect our perception of the sound. So you’re right: multi-channel has to contend with room acoustics too. But in general, I find multichannel more forgiving of room acoustics. (And I know there may be some listeners here who disagree with me about this.)

Finally, if you get the chance, try to hear the recording of Mendelssohn’s Lobgesang Symphony on the Nishimura label (DVD-Audio and possibly only available in Japan at the moment). Recorded with five omnidirectional microphones, it’s the nearest approximation to live I’ve heard in my own home, even though the resolution is only 24/48.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.