Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Arcam FMJ DV139

I recently acquired a DV139 ten days or so ago. It replaces my Arcam DV27A player which I used for both DVD's and CD music reply. Just put things in context my system comprises :

Arcam DVD139
Arcam AV9 Pre-amp/Processor
Arcam P7 Power Amp
Loudspeakers: PMC OB1 Front left/right, PMC CB6 centre, PMC GB1 rear left/right and an M&K VX-850SF Sub-Woofer
Projector : Sony VPL-VW100 (aka 'Ruby')

I have to say that I am extremely impressed with this unit. It is an upscaling player, capable of upscaling standard definition DVD to a full 1080P and utilises Anchor Bay chip technology to perform both the upscaling and de-interlacing. The picture quality is frankly superb, although I did need to do some tweaking at both the DV139 end and the projector end to achieve optimal results. This was mainly due to the fact that out of the box the DV139 was configured to output 576P rather than 1080P so, initially, I did not notice much difference from my old DV27A. However, once I had re-configured the DV139 and re-calibrated my projector for the new HDMI input signal I was right into jaw dropping territory. Of course, you can't and shouldn't attempt to compare this with true HD but it is simply the very best quality I have ever experienced with standard definition DVD's, particularly from true video sources as opposed to film transfers although even these are special.

Not content with making their best DVD player ever, Arcam have gone further and produced a universal disk player that simply rocks with music too. The CD playback capabilities of the DV139 far outstrip my old DV27A, and that is no slouch at music replay, to the point where I no longer feel the need to acquire a dedicated CD player. The DV139 sounds every bit as good as a dedicated CD player costing £1000-£1200 (yep that's right pounds sterling). In fact I got a friend to bring over his Arcam CD36 CD player for a comparison. Frankly it was very difficult to tell the difference, in fact I preferred the DV139, I found the CD 36 a little harsh sounding, at least to my ears.

Add to all of this DVD-Audio and SACD playback capabilities and you have a real winner. In fact I would be hard pushed to name ANY unit which can live with this one at ANY price.

Hope this is of some interest.

Happy New Year to ALL from across the pond (UK)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Arcam FMJ DV139 - Ian Brown 03:54:24 01/04/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.